Sunday, 17 July 2016

How To Use Props In Blog & Instagram Photography...


I knew when I started my blog back in October '15 time that photography and my 'theme' would be important to me. I've always been a very creative person and I love making anything look pretty! From birthday cards to hosting dinner parties I always try my best to make it look that extra bit special. Recently my Instagram theme has become very pink. I didn't intentionally make it that way I think it was a mix of the flowers I was buying and the make-up too. However, now I want to share my photography prop tips with you. You may not want to have a theme and just simply want some ideas on how to spruce up your photos so I hope that some of these ideas help you out. 

Anyway, let's get started...

Flowers...

If you have been following me for a while you will notice I love flowers. Fresh or fake I think they brighten up any room and photo and that is why I always have them around. I have a few bunches of fake flowers of which I have bought from The Range for under £5 each. You can put these in vases or even just place them on the background. My background for my photos is the top of a chest of drawers which is clean and white. When I buy fresh flowers I normally buy them from Lidl as a small bunch of roses in there costs only £2 and they last a good fortnight too. With these I like to cut the stems small on 3 or 4 flowers and put them in a washed out jam pot! There's really no need to go out and buy lots of vases. Kilner jars make a great vase too. If I want to change up my photo style I also like to pick a few of the petals off and sprinkle them around the product I am taken a photo of. This just adds more to the photo and creates more colour and vibrancy rather than just a white background.
Jade's little tip* Remember roses have thorns, handle with care! (Speaking from experience!)
Cost £2-£5

Before-
After-

Jewellery...

Yet again another easy way to jazz up your photography is by using pieces of jewellery. Primark does great packs of rings which would be perfect to use.
 They are great to fill the empty space and you can mix and match between rings, necklaces and even metals. I also use this cute little soap dish which I bought from Sainsbury's here is a similar one. You can of course buy a jewellery dish but they are pretty much the same and some cost a fair few pound more. 
Cost £3+


Bags...

Once you have bought your items don't throw away that 5p bag it can come in very handy! Obviously ditch the plastic carrier bag and recycle it but a lot of make-up and perfume products now come in fancy bags which are perfect for your photography. I personally only use these bags/boxes with products of the same brand and you may think it looks a little 'too staged' for your style of photographs but I quite like it. 
Cost 5p


Perfume Bottles...

These perfume bottles may have been finished months ago but they are great 'background' props. They fill the background and give the photo a dressing table feel. Because of the silver detailing on them I like to match them with silver jewellery.


Frames & Fairy Lights...

I haven't been using fairy lights recently but when I was taking these photos I fell in love with them again! I bought mine for under £1 from Amazon and they work great. They aren't very long but they are great to drape over the white background and obviously brighten up the photo. You may need to adjust your lighting/camera settings when using these. Frames with pretty pictures or quotes in are great for giving your photos more levels. I bought the white one from Ikea and the copper one from New Look in the sale. The cupcake image is actually a postcard that my Mum bought me last year. 

Cost £1-£3

Before-
 After-


Books & Magazines... 

Yet again another great way of adding more levels to your photos. For those that know me well will laugh at my choice of books here- Kim K's picture book and 2 cupcake recipe books! I am not the biggest reader as you can tell! However, when they are stacked up they are great for resting products on. Magazines are also another great addition to any photo, I didn't have any at hand but you will have seen lots in posts all over Instagram. Also, don't feel like you have to buy Vogue if it's really not your thing. Some home & lifestyle magazines or other fashion magazines have some great images in that will look fantastic in the background of your snaps.
Cost £2+

For a lot of you these may seem pretty obvious props to have already but I just wanted to show you how easy it is to jazz up your images and make them stand out. Also, you don't have to spend a fortune. I've heard of people using marble chopping boards and even coloured card to use as their background so it is really up to you and your imagination! 


Let me know if you use any of these or if I have helped you in anyway. 
Much love as always, 
Jade x





SHARE:

5 comments

  1. I always love your photos, they're so so pretty. I need to buy more flowers, I always intend to buy flowers from Lidl on my lunch but I get distracted. I really need a white table for blog photos, I love the layout of yours xx

    Tamz | http://www.throughneweyesx.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thank-you so much Tamzin, that's very kind of you : ) Fake flowers are good to get as well, these cute bunches are from The Range-so handy! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love love love this post Jade, it's so well written omg! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a huge compliment Holly, thank-you very much! X

      Delete

© JadeAnnLoves... | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig